Mikhail Blagosklonny is an Oncology professor at Rosewell Park Cancer Institute. His research mainly focuses on cancer and its therapies. Besides being a professor, Mr. Blagosklonny works with Oncotarget where he is the Editor-in-Chief. He has published a lot of research on aging and inspires his students to take his research to the next level. He advocates for the use of Rapamycin, a cancer drug, to increase life span.
Uses of Rapamycin and what makes it a great medicine
- It has immunosuppressant properties, and unlike other immunosuppressive drugs, Rapamycin has a low toxicity level towards the kidneys.
- Rapamycin is the perfect medicine for hemolytic-uremic syndrome treatment. This rare disease is caused by a combination of kidney failure, low platelet count, and anemia.
- It is used to treat Lymphangioleiomyomatosis (LAM), a rare lung disease that mostly affects women.
- Rapamycin is used in coronary stents coating to prevent re-stenosis occurrence in the arteries.
- Cancer treatment. Rapamycin has the capacity to enhance the body’s immune response towards tumors if taken in right doses. Additionally, the drug has been shown to promote tumor regression and helps reduce the risk of cancer especially in people with organ transplants.
- Tuberous Sclerosis Complex (TSC) treatment. Tuberous Sclerosis Complex causes benign tumor growth in organs such as the kidneys, heart, and brain. According to research, mTOR inhibitors help suppress TSC in both children and adults.
- Facial angiofibromas treatment. Over 80 percent of Tuberous Sclerosis Complex patients suffer from Facial angiofibromas, which is a type of skin rash commonly found on the cheeks and nose of the affected person. The cure for this disease is laser treatment or dermabrasion, but Rapamycin works better.
- Increases longevity in humans. Dr. Mikhail has conducted lots of research on how Rapamycin can be used to prolong life in humans.
- Alzheimer’s disease treatment. Research shows that Sirolimus prevents cognitive defects and reduces brain lesions in mice. According to researchers, this is an indication that the drug can cure Alzheimer’s disease.
- Treatment of muscular dystrophy.
- Treatment of systemic lupus erythematosus.
Mikhail Blagosklonny’s Plans for Oncology
Mikhail Blagosklonny has picked some interesting topics with regards to aging and cancer. These topics have attracted a lot of attention especially within the field of medicine. His goal is not just to figure out a perfect way to treat cancer, but to come up with an effective and affordable method for cancer treatment. He hopes to find out how cancerous cells can be removed from the body without altering normal cells.Mikhail Blagosklonny plans to ensure that people around the globe have access to high-quality treatment regardless of their financial statuses. He has done extensive medical research specifically on cancer and aging. With his research, Mikhail Blagosklonny hopes to discover why older people are more prone to cancer. The oncology field will continue finding Mikhail Blagosklonny’s research useful.